Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was this a bad year to replace Marv?
(01-09-2019, 05:50 AM)grampahol Wrote: Dammit.. I just typed a long response then the windows reconfig thing wiped it out.. I don't enjoy Windows..never have, never will..

Anyway... Are we REALLY to believe that being a head coach in the NFL should be so painful that we should only consider one of only a small handful of humans for the job? Of only 32 possible jobs we're given a list of only a handful of guys who probably don't have advanced PhD degrees in much of anything much less professional football coaching. It's not even listed as a possible major at any university that I'm aware of so why are we continually being told that only a very small segment of the best and brightest are ever considered? (Actually we aren't)
Consider what most student athletes actually study in college.. 
From Bleacher report (although it's hardly the definitive list)

1. "Here are the most popular majors for each of the schools in the ACC:
    • Boston College: Arts and Sciences (enrolled in school)
    • Clemson: Parks, recreation and tourism management
    • Duke: Sociology
    • Florida State: Social science
    • Georgia Tech: Business administration
    • Louisville: Communication
    • Miami: Sport administration
    • North Carolina: Exercise and sport science
    • NC State: N/A*
    • Notre Dame: First Year of Studies
    • Pittsburgh: Arts and Sciences (enrolled in school)
    • Syracuse: Communication
    • Virginia: Arts and sciences
    • Virginia Tech: Human development
    • Wake Forest: N/A**"
Well, at least Clemson isn't playing around, eh? You really have to think that most coaches don't exactly have a long academic resume compared with say... CEO's of major corporations..? In other words, football is football and not NASA.. They aren't recruiting guys with a lot of academic backgrounds. I have to assume most coaches are just former football players and most of them are guys who didn't really become the stud players we read about every Sunday morning in the newspaper. Many of the guys we generally view as great coaches never made it to the NFL as players. A few have, but most never did.
Does this really make any sense? We're given a handful of names of guys who probably attended college as student athletes with those great academic qualifications that in any other occupation might have gotten them a job as the janitor...MAYBE the manager that every employee is obligated to hate the rest of their lives..
Why don't we ever hear of coaching candidates with PhD's in rocket science? Well, because it ain't rocket science. It's football. 
Are we to believe that NFL coaches have some super secret knowledge unobtainable by the rest of humanity? Is there some super secret field of study that the average human can't possibly learn without first getting that degree in Parks, recreation and tourism management?
This just blows my mind to think that of the millions upon millions of Americans ONLY 32 people in any given year with a few exceptions will ever become head coaches in the league and to my knowledge one of them have ever had to spend YEARS of the academic slog most people have to go through to get a job earning even a fraction of a football players salary. 
Are we REALLY supposed to believe that ONLY 32 guys are ever qualified? That's just a tad more than absurd isn't it?

Education level isn't everything. You could take the most educated minds on the planet, and they're not going to make the best list of Drill Sergeant candidates. Some jobs take a certain type of man or mentality.

(01-10-2019, 08:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Can't use the old practice facility bubble argument here, can we?  They have one of the most amazing practice facilities in the entire NFL. 

Well they did win a playoff game, and their franchise is generally more successful than ours.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - Shake n Blake - 01-10-2019, 03:11 PM