Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS: Trump military trans ban can continue during appeals process
(01-23-2019, 01:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think there should be physical requirements based on what job a person has in the military and everyone should be treated the same.

If a soldier is a whiz at flying drones or gathering intelligence I don't care if he/she can walk across a room, but everyone who wants to be in combat should have to pass the same tests.

And I think it is a very bad idea to chose leaders based on who runs the best or lifts the most weights.  Combat is much different from competing in a decathlon.

That's not really how "leaders" are chosen in the military.  All people in the military have pass fitness tests to remain in, some branches (e.g. Marines) holding to more rigorous requirements than others.  And passing these tests factors into promotion. 

So the result of this process is a large pool of military members who meet basic fitness standards.  Within this pool are some/many with the ability to lead, others not.  Because of the fitness requirements, there are plenty of fit, smart, potential leaders out there. Thus no one grooming leaders has to choose between a person who is smart but unfit and a person who is dumb but fit. 

Also, when it comes to combat, you do want the guy with cardio fitness out there, for sure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS: Trump military trans ban can continue during appeals process - Dill - 01-25-2019, 03:57 PM