Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Making of the Fox News White House
(03-04-2019, 11:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Some semi-historical Norse fiction. There is a King Hakon but not Hakon the Good. There is a Harald who will turn out to be Harald Finehair-Fairhair but both of these guys are in the periphery (and not even 100% sure they existed) of the story of our hero Ragnvald in the first of a trilogy where our hero will certainly go from simple warrior to leader of men.

Edit:  Out of curiosity I looked up our hero and he was a real (according to sagas I imagine) person.

Sounds like you are reading stuff that deepens your interest/knowledge in history.  By the way, there are some interesting HBO productions relating to this period (8-10th century AD): Vikings and The Last Kingdom.  The former follows the career of Ragnar Hairybreeks and then his son, Ivar the Boneless.  The historical dates and events are not fiction (the raid on Lindisfarne, the attack on Paris, the great Dane invasion) and there is an effort to make the dress and costumes authentic. The Last Kingdom obliquely follows the reign of Alfred the Great, who is still my favorite English king. But the central story is of a Briton raised by Danes who enters Afred's service. Love stories and personality conflicts bore me, but there is an effort to respect historical detail which I much appreciate. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Making of the Fox News White House - Dill - 03-05-2019, 07:09 PM