Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
(04-02-2019, 09:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Were we more in line with the Articles of Confederation, I'd agree. But we're not.

And let's be clear, the EC isn't all about states' rights. It is also about helping slave states get more votes (because it was based on apportionment, which included slaves being counted) as well as the idea that the voting public wouldn't know who was running for president. Therefore, they voted for an elector, someone they would know because they were local, to make the decision on their behalf.

It's an antiquated system that is made even worse by greater population disparities giving some people's votes twice, or even thrice the weight of others. It also causes presidential campaigns to ignore large swaths during the general election and only focus on key battleground states. Whereas if every individual vote mattered, a Democratic candidate wouldn't just ignore a state because it went Republican and vice versa.

I agree with your last part; I just don't agree with totally removing a State's identity in the National Election. Perhaps instead of a National popular vote or a winner takes all EC; the EC could be based on a percentage. That way each state had their say.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - bfine32 - 04-02-2019, 09:37 PM