Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
(04-03-2019, 02:28 PM)hollodero Wrote: But doesn't that argument go both ways?
I feel half the states, at least, could safely be painted red or blue on the EC map before the election. And hence can safely be ignored. No one campaigns in North Dakota or Massachusetts in a general election, or do they? In a way I do not see the difference.

Yes, but not in the same way.  Safe states still get attention from candidates though, Clinton certainly campaigned in both CA and NY.  Even so, why exacerbate an undesirable situation?

(04-03-2019, 02:47 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: How much do you think the rural New York areas were heard in this past election?

To the same extent they always have.  Are we now advocating to abolish the concepts of states as well?

(04-03-2019, 02:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And to be real the only people who argue "I am in favor of democracy as long as my vote counts more than someone else's" are the ones glad Trump and Bush won.

An utterly specious statement.  The EC has been the law of the land for over a century, there is no argument necessary to maintain what we've had in practice for so long.

Quote:How can anyone be in favor of democracy yet argue some people's votes should count more than others?

So you're in favor of abolishing the Senate now too?  Wow, you far left types can't stop finding things about this country you want to utterly change.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-03-2019, 03:13 PM