Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
(04-03-2019, 12:05 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure I agree with that. The ability to win one state will provide a third with legitimacy. For instance the other guy I voted for besides Trump gave it a hell of a run in Utah. Popular vote: he wouldn't have made a blip. 

Understood, and a valid point.

On the other hand, it's doubtful a third party candidate will win any state unless some random act knocks the two major party candidates off the ballot. Even if some miraculous fail of paperwork were to happen, it would likely have to be in the half of the states where electors are bound by law to vote for whoever gets the majority; if the third party candidate is in the other half, the electors can veto their voters.

People primarily don't vote third party because they feel it's a wasted for. With the EC, they're correct. With popular vote, a candidate is worth exactly what people think they're worth, not what an elector thinks they're worth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - Benton - 04-03-2019, 03:53 PM