Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
(04-03-2019, 06:57 PM)Dill Wrote: Well argued. When did states become invisible? They aren't just arbitrary boundaries around differently massed voters. Abolishing the EC would not only shift the old problems to new places; it would actually create new ones and greatly exacerbate the current red/blue divide.

I disagree. The whole concept of states being red or blue would no longer be relevant. For example, in 2016 California gave Trump 4.5 million votes, almost as many as both Florida and Texas that went for Trump. But Trump would have actually gotten those votes, meaning the state wasn't just blue, it was 1/3 red. I contend that ridding ourselves of the Electoral College would move us away from labeling states in a particular way, which could help us move away from the divisive nature of things.

(04-03-2019, 06:57 PM)Dill Wrote: I am surprised that so many don't see a problem with the majoritarian ideal they usually oppose to the EC. Madison certainly did; hence his references in the Federalist papers to two systems of government as the first check in our system of checks and balances.

Interesting, the second specific Founder that is brought up, and also one that advocated for a national popular vote for president.

(04-03-2019, 06:57 PM)Dill Wrote: And I may be the unhappiest person here with how the election turned out (only because I hate Trump, lol), but I'm not going to change the rules so my side wins all the time.  

That's because that's not a good reason to change the rules. Inequity among voters, undemocratic and unrepresentative institutions, antiquated policies, those are all valid reasons to make a change. All of those are describing the Electoral College in modern times.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - Belsnickel - 04-03-2019, 07:13 PM