Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
(04-08-2019, 10:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: further findings:

The book also quotes one historian as noting that the EC "was cobbled together nearly at the last minute and adopted not because the framers believed it would work, but because it was less objectionable than two more obvius alternatives... it had no positive advantages of its own"

another notes that it "was merey a jerry rigged improvisation which has subsequently been endowed with a high theoretical content", which seems to match the influx of justifications for the EC which are not rooted in any of the actual debates at the convention.

He also quotes Madison as saying that small states do not need protection from large states as the large states were diverse in location, economy, and religion, suggesting they were more likely to be rivals than form a coalition against small states.

LOL and I just quoted Madison saying large states have the advantage in selecting candidates, small states in selecting a president from them in the contingency plan.  Why the talk of large and small states here?

And no one is arguing the EC was the result of some plan from the get go, set out to balance the imbalance in population. So far as I know, every side in the literature on the debate agrees that the EC was cobbled together. Longley and Peirce say it was the first choice of few but the second choice of many.  A compromise: set in motion by the concern that congressional selection would violate the separation of powers, and upon which the proportional issue weighed again and again, and in the final solution.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - Dill - 04-08-2019, 10:52 PM