Poll: (Read post before voting) How big would the popular vote gap have to be for you to call for the EC's abolishment?
I want to abolish it no matter what
1 vote
1,000,000 votes
5,000,000 votes
10,000,000 votes
25,000,000 votes
I will always support the EC
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College?
(04-08-2019, 10:52 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL and I just quoted Madison saying large states have the advantage in selecting candidates, small states in selecting a president from them in the contingency plan.  Why the talk of large and small states here?

I do not think anyone here is defending the part of the EC where ties going to the HoR at 1 vote per state. 

Quote:And no one is arguing the EC was the result of some plan from the get go, set out to balance the imbalance in population. So far as I know, every side in the literature on the debate agrees that the EC was cobbled together. Longley and Peirce say it was the first choice of few but the second choice of many.  A compromise: set in motion by the concern that congressional selection would violate the separation of powers, and upon which the proportional issue weighed again and again, and in the final solution.

A compromise based on needs that no longer exist, despite the desire to attribute contemporary concerns to the founding fathers. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: How big of a vote gap would it take for you to drop the Electoral College? - BmorePat87 - 04-08-2019, 11:42 PM