Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye, Josh Malone and Hardy Nickerson!
(09-01-2019, 07:03 PM)NKURyan Wrote: In a way I think it's actually a really outside-of-the-box, intriguing move. The coaching staff basically looked at their defensive roster, acknowledged the weakness at the linebacker position, and said screw it, let's just run extra guys out there on the line and in the secondary. I think a lot of coaches would've kept some of our bums at the position just because of the old "we have to have X number of linebackers" philosophy, but this... is kind of interesting.

The supposed tradeoff to this is that it leads you more open to being beat by TEs and RBs in short yardage and in the middle of the field but, ummm... that was happening anyways in our standard package and would've continued to happen this year. Might as well concede that point and focus on areas they can actually improve.

I've been excited to see the new offense all offseason, but I'm actually more interested in seeing our defensive approach now too.

I feel like we played 2 LB A LOT last year with 3 safeties. I'm fairly sure we did this against the Saints A LOT using Fej like a LB and they shredded us.

Not sure this is anything new.

New would have been...actually signing an external LB that was an upgrade. I'm not sure that doing nothing is a good strategy.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bye, Josh Malone and Hardy Nickerson! - THE PISTONS - 09-01-2019, 07:29 PM