Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump
(09-26-2019, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks for the class; I'm sure they won't break the law.  I just mentioned  the "framework of existing law regulating such sensitive matters" will be the least of their motivations as to weather or not the hearings a re open and closed. Do you agree or disagree with the assessment? 

Here's the thing. We don't have law already in place to completely cover these circumstances. That's why we keep reading the word "unprecedented" in hearing testimony.

"They" is not one monolithic entity here. I think people running the Congressional hearings are motivated for the most part by respect for rule of law, so respecting the law will not be "the least of their motivations" but a primary one.

However, some are motivated by a desperate desire to save the president, no matter what. They will use the law where they can to except the president from rule of law and accountability, but will not be motivated by respect for it. Their success depends on how well they can convince the undecided that "both sides" are just engaged in partisan sparing and no fundamental principles/norms/laws are at stake.  (How can Dems accuse Trump of colluding and abused power when Dems already colluded and abused power?)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump - Dill - 09-26-2019, 06:25 PM