Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal employees COLA slashed
(02-15-2020, 02:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not saying that worker pay doesn't need to be increased.  Heck, I've repeated that in post after post in this thread.  My whole point was that exaggerating statistics to prove a point is not the way to go about promoting change.  I still stand by that.  

Here's a "for instance" situation.  Let's say that I make $24/hr to work for an engineering firm to do Surveying work.  The Federal minimum wage raises from $7.25 to $15/hr.  Does that not mean that my skills are still not worth 3X the minimum wage for all of the study, time and experience that I've put in?  

The reason that I ask is because those in the know seem to keep bringing up inflation.  Well, it seems to me that if you increase the minimum wage by a significant figure, then all other wages must adjust to the same factor.  That sounds great on the surface, but what happens as a result?  We all know that in reality, prices go up at typically an even disproportionate ratio.

If a McDonalds worker makes $15/hour will they suddenly start competing with you for the same job? No.

If you’re making $24/hour then you’re compensated more than someone making minimum wage at $15/hour. Their qualifications haven’t increased so they won’t be competing for your job. Which means your employer won’t need to pay an extra dime to keep you in that same position. Your employer isn’t going to pay you extra just because McDonalds has to pay their employees more.

If your employer raised your pay to $50/hour my employer isn’t going to pay me more because your pay doubled.

Messages In This Thread
Federal employees COLA slashed - Yojimbo - 02-13-2020, 01:41 PM
RE: Federal employees COLA slashed - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 02-15-2020, 02:30 AM
RE: Federal employees COLA slashed - Dill - 02-14-2020, 06:35 PM
RE: Federal employees COLA slashed - CJD - 02-13-2020, 03:53 PM
RE: Federal employees COLA slashed - treee - 02-13-2020, 07:43 PM
RE: Federal employees COLA slashed - Dill - 02-26-2020, 02:48 PM
RE: Federal employees COLA slashed - Dill - 02-17-2020, 03:35 PM