Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season
(08-10-2020, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is the same PFF rating system that said Dalton was a better QB in 2018 than 2015.  It is a joke.  You can't even tell me what stats they used to come up with that number because all they use is a subjective grading system they plug into a formula so faulty that a player can be ranked higher than another despite playing fewer snaps and messing up more often.  

Perhaps they took into account the players and play around him?  Let's not kid ourselves, there was a huge difference in talent that surrounded Dalton in 2015 vs. 2018.

WR - AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Muhamed Sanu (All played 16 games, all in their prime)
OL - Andre Whitworth, Clint Boling, Russell Bodine, Kevin Zeitler, Andre Smith
TE - An in his prime, and healthy Tyler Eifert (Career high year)
Def - 2nd ranked in points allowed.

WR - AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross (Green missed 7 games)
OL - Cordy Glenn, Clint Boling, Billy Price, Alex Redmond, Bobby Hart
TE - CJ Uzomah
Def -30th ranked in points allowed

The difference is OL talent is staggering.  The difference in TE is staggering.  The difference in defense in staggering. The difference at WR is more than noticable.

Could these things not help to explain why, depsite lesser numbers, his actual skill level may have been very similar?

I think the problem is, you're only looking to stats to help explain your position, whereas they are looking at everything.  Every single play, and every single player.

If, in 2015, Andy Dalton has 5+ seconds to sit in the pocket and throws to a wide open player who goes in for a TD then that isn't necessarily completely reflected in a stat line.  If, in 2018, Andy Dalton drops back to throw and has a guy in his face after 2 seconds and he tries to hit a receiver who ran the wrong route, then that isn't completely reflected either.  One stat simply says TD, and the other says incompletion. Completely ignoring everything else that surrounds the play.

Lastly, consider all of the above, and look at these numbers.

-In 2015 Dalton averaged 250 passing yards per game.

-In 2018 Dalton averaged 233 passing yards a game.

-In 2015 Dalton threw 25 TD's in 13 games. (1.92 per)

-In 2018 Dalton threw 21 TD's in 11 games. (1.91 per)

His overall QB rating went from 106.2 to 89.6. Why?  His completion % dropped 5 points and he threw 4 more picks.  Again, I think if you consider everything then this can somewhat be explain.

I don't think, knowing all of this, that is completely out of the realm for them to sit down and analyze everything, and come to their conclusion.  to each their own though...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - Wes Mantooth - 08-10-2020, 04:56 PM