Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Republican National Convention(s)
(08-25-2020, 10:27 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll reiterate, comparing your political opponents to Nazis is unacceptable.  The only exception would be if they were actual Nazis.  I suppose we can file this under "it's ok if the people I like do it" file for you.  It's certainly not the first entry.

There are no such "entries."  And baseless accusations certainly don't set you on some higher moral ground for judging others' "low blows."

And now I'll do a little "reiterating" myself.

It is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE to make analogies between US politicians, policies, and party platforms and those of any other country, present or past--including the NS state. Analogies are by definition of unlike things, so they don't assert identification: Trump=Nazi. They are a perfectly legitimate analytic tool.

For people who can distinguish between demagoguery and analysis, the only question should be regarding the quality/validity of any proffered points of analogy.  If that discussion is not possible, then it is not possible to really have an open political discussion/critique of authoritarianism when it comes to power in the US and exercises that power.

If you really want to make a substantial contribution to this thread, then drop the moral posturing and demonstrate why the correspondences given in post #13 don't fit. It is not "unacceptable" for Americans to note, discuss and make a case for such correspondences if they are really there. It should be unacceptable to acknowledge they are there but deny the discussion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Republican National Convention(s) - Dill - 08-24-2020, 09:53 PM
RE: Republican National Convention(s) - Dill - 08-25-2020, 12:15 PM