Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with?
(02-28-2017, 01:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Hobson reported we offered Marvin Jones a similar deal.  There is a difference between similar and the same.  Kinda like the similar deal we offered Jonathan Joseph which turned out to include less guaranteed money compared to the Texans' offer.  The Bengals rationale was he might get more guaranteed money with the Texans, but we are less likely to cut him so he might make slightly more over the life of the contract.  In an industry where an employee is one play away from career ending injury and the team not full filing the contract, that is a poor strategy.

When Hobson reports "similar" that's code for not the same.  Unless I see the details of each offer nothing will convince me otherwise.

Honestly, nothing will really convince you because you have a preconceived narrative in your head. Let's look at it this way then, assume we didn't offer him the same deal, we instead paid Brandon Lafell far less and didn't want to overpay for Jones.

Lafell 64 catches 862 yards 6 TDs
Jones 55 catches 930 yards 4 TDs

Maybe they were right not to offer them the same deal if that's your theory? If that was the case, that would mean the Bengals management actually was smart. Maybe his past injury issues are why they wouldn't pay him the same deal? Pick your path either they tried to spend the money and gave him the same ill advised deal, or they low balled him found a comparable replacement for far less I'll let you make the call.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with? - Au165 - 02-28-2017, 01:36 PM