Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes a backup QB trade happen
(03-04-2017, 03:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great point, cannot disagree with that. I could see this happening.

Would be a good move for a QB needy team like the Jets, Rams, Niners, Browns or even Vikings.

Solid list, though I'd swap LA (Goff investment) with the Bears, and maybe Washington becomes an option if Cousins is dealt, Vikes may not be in the market.  Point being, there are many suitors and the market is thin.  All it takes is one team to bow out of the asking price for Garoppolo or Cousins yet not be blown away with some of the prospects.  

Cleveland's #52 or 65 makes sense value wise and a conditional pick next year.  Hue saw him firsthand, and they have a lot of picks.  They'll either pony up to offer the 52 that it would take for Mike Brown to sign off on giving a division foe a starting QB, or they'll settle on Kessler being comparable and use their picks to build around him.  

The Jets are confusing.  They liked Smith and Hackenberg's strengths enough to select them, but still show no direction at the position.  They played chicken all offseason with Fitzpatrick, so though they say their picks (remember they have an extra 3rd) are available for the right price its hard to tell what they do.  Cincy should ask them for #70 and maybe they throw in a 4th next year too.  

Those are just examples of what kind of offers they'd be getting.  I'd look for an actual deal a few weeks before the draft.  That's when a few dominos will fall (Romo? Cutler? Garoppolo?) and teams will figure our if they want to take or trade up for a guy like Watson.  This is also a time when Cincy will consider kicking tires on a cut vet replacement to compete with their unknown Driskell that stuck on the roster.  Most likely, they'll just wait til the draft and consider if a 4th or 5th rounder looks like a better prospect than Driskell and/or  then let a guy like old Bruce Gradkowski come in as a 3rd QB if either of the two youngsters look totally lost.  Regardless, Cincy is doing nothing wrong by letting the market come to them and they do have plenty of suitors as you say. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What makes a backup QB trade happen - phil413 - 03-04-2017, 06:45 PM