Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Austin Promises Defense Will "Play Without Fear!"
Apparently, Marvin had his eye on Teryl Austin even before the season ended:

Quote:Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis seemed to have an eye on the future before the 2017 season was even over. He said he told Teryl Austin to "stay in touch" prior to the Bengals' game against the Detroit Lions on Christmas Eve.

Even though Lewis and defensive coordinator Paul Guenther had expiring contracts, Lewis seemed to be keeping an eye on Austin just in case. Now, Austin will take over Guenther's duties as the Bengals' defensive coordinator.

I like that because it means that Marvin had his eye on the future, even though his was uncertain, and that he wanted Teryl because he knew that Guenther was most likely gone.  

It also means that Marvin liked his style of play, which was aggressive, something Marvin's coaching has not been in Cincinnati, but the Lions had the third-most takeaways in the league last year, and so I'm hoping he plays tight in the secondary and brings pressure on the quarterbacks.  I couldn't find a blitzing percentage statistic, but his defense was 20th in sacks, which you might think is a bad thing, but it could also mean that quarterbacks just had to get rid of the ball quicker, causing more interceptions (his defense had 19, which was 4th in the NFL), and I'll take interceptions over sacks all day, especially since the secondary will be playing tighter to the line and receivers (from how it sounds).

Marvin sounds like he's being more aggressive (finally) and is in a win-now mode, and Austin seems to fit into that mold!

It's going to be a GREAT year!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Austin Promises Defense Will "Play Without Fear!" - BFritz21 - 01-12-2018, 09:58 PM