Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If GM holding Marvin back, then why has Marvin never left to a better Opportunity/GM?
(11-26-2018, 02:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If I answer these questions you have to answer mine.  Don't you think that is fair.

1.  No, I don't think he has never lost with more talent, but he has never had the best roster in the league either.  And when he does have a talented roster it is because he and his staff have had to bust their asses coaching up lesser players.  Mike Brown has never given him any top level free agent talent like all other coaches get from time to time so it has all been on Marvin to build those rosters.

2.  No, Mike Brown does not cause Marvin to lose when Marvin had more talent.  The question is "how often does that happen?"

Now answer my question

Why exactly do you think Marvin wants to lose and look bad instead of spend Mike Brown's money for better Free Agents to win more games ?

Mike Brown just spent big money "retaining" Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap.

He impacted the Free Agent Market of the near future by preventing his own players from hitting that Market, by "retaining" them.

Jim Owczraski showed that the Bengals have spent in the Top third of the NFL during a number of Marvin's seasons.

You claim in Post 71 that the "Front Office" is still the "worst" in the NFL. Then you name players like Terrance Newman, Reggie Nelson, Adam Jones, Cedric Benson, Kyle Cook that have all contributed well. You attribute this to Marvin's Coaching yet do not give any credit to the "Front Office" for recognizing the potential of these players.

The Bengal Front Office of the 1990's was the worst of it's day. The "Front Office" during Marvin's tenure has not been "the worst" in each and every Marvin season. They have fielded a number of competitive Rosters.

Just compare Rosters of all 32 teams each Marvin year and you will NOT see the Bengals as the 32nd ranked Roster every year giving Marvin no chance. The "Front Office" clearly outperformed many other NFL Front Offices in many Marvin Era seasons. Not number one overall but definitely not 32nd overall & getting PRAISE in a number of seasons for their Rosters by NFL Analysts.

You yourself seemed to Praise recent Draft picks or trading for Cordy Glenn etc if my memory serves me right.

What you fail to acknowledge is that Marvin is a Major Part of that "Front Office" as proven by Mike's improvement as a GM from the 1990's versus the Marvin Era.

Sure Marvin may want that extra High Priced Free Agent to be squeezed into the Budget but I suspect that one extra guy or two may not be enough to overcome what Marvin may actually LACK as a Head Coach.

Many Coaches enter games without an AJ Green caliber receiver. An example of a Roster edge Marvin has had during many games.

You want to pretend that there is a GREAT DISPARITY in Rosters favoring other Coaches Marvin faces which is preventing Marvin's Greatness from ever surfacing and I say, B. S.

Marvin's entered plenty of games & even seasons with Rosters that were at least equal to or possibly even better than many other Coaches had to work with. Many Front Offices spend years just trying to give their Head Coach a QB for goodness sake.

Marvin's had QBs Carson & Andy from his Front Office, not bad. 

Probably even a Roster advantage at QB over many teams all of these years, huh Fred.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If GM holding Marvin back, then why has Marvin never left to a better Opportunity/GM? - depthchart - 11-26-2018, 04:05 PM