Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Starting to Think We Go QB Early
(04-20-2019, 01:56 AM)Whatever Wrote: It's a different situation.  The Bengals didn't have a decent QB when Palmer was drafted, so obviously there was a lot of hype and hope around Palmer.  There was a good chance he would be better than guys like Akili Smith and Gus Frerrotte.  It's a lot less likely that a rookie will be better than Dalton.  There will be some excitement if it's Haskins, mainly because there's a large number of Ohio State fans that will go nuts for any highly rated OSU player the Bengals take.

I don't think it happens for a number of reasons.  If Mike Brown made big changes for the purposes of pumping up the fans and pushing ticket sales, Marvin would have been gone a long time ago.  He just doesn't run the team that way.  Mike said he wanted to give Dalton a year under Taylor and I think that's exactly what he does.  I also think that after Zac would lose a large chunk of the locker room if they went QB after he talked Andy up so much.  He would come off as two faced and many of the players wouldn't trust him.  Plus, if there's a QB at 11, I'm sure the Dolphins and or Redskins will be calling.

Fair points and I'd add that we're drafting at #11 not #1 overall. You're also right that I think Andy has a backing in the locker room. Especially from AJ Green. Then again, the players loved Marvin, too. 

Fwiw, the only QB's that I think would bring excitement to the fanbase are Murray and Haskins. 

Also fair point on Mike not bending to fans, but after awhile, I think he does at least consider the fans when PBS has looked empty for a few years. I'm not saying that he would make moves directly based on what fans want, but I do believe the front office could feel pressure or motivation to make moves to bring fans back. 

Not sure if I buy the 2 faced thing. Coaches lie in the sports all the time. Some of the best ones do. It's all about the team, not the individual. That's why when a new coach throws support behind the QB, it's often called the kiss of death. Same deal with new GM's supporting coaches, but we're not used to an actual GM.   Whatever

Tbh, unless by some miracle Murray is sitting at 11, I hope we trade back with a QB needy team. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starting to Think We Go QB Early - J24 - 04-08-2019, 01:18 PM
RE: Starting to Think We Go QB Early - CJD - 04-08-2019, 01:40 PM
RE: Starting to Think We Go QB Early - CJD - 04-08-2019, 02:28 PM
RE: Starting to Think We Go QB Early - CJD - 04-08-2019, 03:40 PM
RE: Starting to Think We Go QB Early - CJD - 04-08-2019, 04:02 PM
RE: Starting to Think We Go QB Early - CJD - 04-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Starting to Think We Go QB Early - BenZoo2 - 04-09-2019, 12:26 PM
RE: Starting to Think We Go QB Early - Shake n Blake - 04-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Starting to Think We Go QB Early - BenZoo2 - 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM
RE: Starting to Think We Go QB Early - J24 - 04-22-2019, 01:40 PM