Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mixon- Bengals had productive talks
Yes, please!

This is absolute no brainer extension IMHO. And like Fred just stated, there's a ton of incentive for him to want to get this done now. There's leverage there in rewarding him with an extension. As long as Mixon and his agent aren't unrealistic with their demands then this should get done.

I really think a fair for both parties deal looks like 8-10 million per. You're paying him early, and you're paying him in line with his production and peers.

People like to point to some of these bigger deals like Macafferty as reference but that's not apples to apples. All you have to do is look to his overall numbers, and especially his usage in the pass game to realize he's an entirely different player.

The reality is the #5 paid back last season was Devonta Freeman @ 8.25 mil. (Note: He signed this deal after a Superbowl season, in which eclipsed 1,500 total yards, had 11 TD's, averaged a whopping 4.8 a carry, made the Pro Bowl, and ranked #48 in the Top 100)

Let's look at the other guys in the top 5: Elliot, Gurley, L Bell, D Johnson.

Gurley - A TERRIBLE signing, a disaster of a deal. Released just two years later.
L Bell - Another awful contract. There's plenty of rumors the Jets want out after only 1 year. And they can opt out after this season.
D Johnson - Bad move again. Traded just two years later.

Outside of Elliot, who IMHO, is also grossly overpaid, all of these deals were awful. And fwiw, I wouldn't pay Macaffery that much either.

As of right now there are only 5 backs making 10+ for 2020. Two of those are Johnson and Bell, who by this time next season will be looking at substantial decreases in pay. Another is Derrek Henry, who is at 10.2 mil on a franchise tag.

So I think if we can lock him at 9 or 10 mil, that's a great deal for both sides. But anything much beyond that would be stupid. Even those guys listed above, who ended being terrible deals, had much more production in the pass game and all had greater overall number than Mixon.

tldr; I want to resign Mixon. I think he's worth about 9 mil or so. I think paying 12 mil is stupid though. Sign him to a new deal at 9-10 mil and I'll be happy. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Wes Mantooth - 05-19-2020, 12:23 PM