Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell
(04-23-2021, 06:19 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I totally disagree. Allow me....

1: Assuming they are all healthy, the 5 OL starters on the roster right now for the Bengals gave up a total of 6 sacks in 2020. That means 17 sacks are either NOT on the roster or at best 3rd on the depth chart... and that is before the draft and the rest of free agency.

2: Sewell is NOT the highest rated prospect the Bengals would potentially have available. In fact, depending on the scouting report, Sewell isn't even the best O lineman the Bengals can draft at 5. Pitts is rated higher than Sewell and, when positional value is taken into account, Chase is as well depending on the article.

Sewell would probably start, but at RG, more than likely. He is now projected more to NFL Guard than he is tackle duento his shorter stature (6-4) and shorter arms (33 1/4). Those are G proportions. 

3: Higgins is a very strong player. But, he was a #2 & #3 option with AJ & Boyd on the field. This notion that you can just throw to anyone is a poor one. The Bengals are lacking weapons... given that they run "11" personnel more than any other team in the league, that is bad. 11 personnel is 3 wr, 1 RB, & 1 TE. To think that you can put any other WR out there and Tee Higgins would still get single coverage is a huge leap. Who's going out there as the other threat? Tate? Thomas? Morgan? We saw how bad the WRs looked last year. They were BAD. No matter who is on the line, if Burrow has to hold the ball because guys cannot get separation, he is going to get murdered.

Another threat opposite Higgins will continue to give Tee single coverage looks AND stop opposing CBs & S from creeping up in the box.

4: Plenty of balls to go around. Teams lineup with multiple threats every year. Cheifs, Browns, Steelers, Buccs, Saints, etc etc have excellent threats all over the field.

Chad, TJ, Henry, Rudi.... AJ, Jones, Sanu, Eifert.... No issues.

5. Elite blocking isn't about a bunch of elite guys. It is about how well they work together as a group WITH the QB & RB. This idea that big time draft picks don't get QBs hurt is false.

- Throw deep to whom? Tee Higgins & then ???? Teams Safties are alrwady creeping up because the Bengals have no one to go deep. That is what has been killing them the past several seasons. There is no room to run because of this. This has been discussed on HTPG & Locked on quite a bit.

6 The idea that Sewell is the only guy who's an elite pass blocker or lineman is just plain false. Sewell' pass blocking grade was 95. Cosmi 90. Dickerson 91. Leatherwood (if I recall) 89. A lot of guys in this draft are highly rated pass blockers.... against way way way better competition, as well. Sewell beat up tomato cans in the Pac 12. At least Slater has tape against elite pass rushers.

7: The dropoff from Chase to the 2nd round receivers is a chasm compared to Sewell and the 2nd or even 3rd round guys... especially when you factor in that he projects more to play G than he does OT.

To me, this draft, THAT is why Jamaar Chase is the clear, no brainer pick at 5. I think there will be 80% of Sewell available at 38. I cannot say the same about Chase.

Accordong to PFF analytics, in terms of positional value, a WR is far far far more important than an OT or G. I get that the Bengals need BOTH WR & O line. They NEED both. I would rather have the higher ceiling WR who is proven against NFL talent (doing that proving with the QB already here, BTW) and then take the best linemen in 2/3 or 2/4.

BTW, I am excited for ANY of them. Several paths to success for the Bengals. I will be all in on Sewell, Slater, Pitts, Chase. ALL IN. Just because it doesn't happen the way I envision it, doesn't mean I won't be able to see the vision. 

I love you all, regardless. Even you, Fred Toast.

Fun read but this is when u take Sewell u build ur team inside out. It’s that simple.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell - SadFaceBengal15 - 04-23-2021, 10:20 PM