Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell
(04-23-2021, 07:40 PM)Beaker Wrote: Chase is the safer and smarter pick, hands down.

While I would not object to the Chase pick, I don't think I agree with this assertion.

It is true that more doubts can be raised about Sewell given his measurements, his competition, etc. I would agree with this assertion:

Chase is a safer pick relative to the WR position group than Sewell is relative to the OL position group. That's not quite the same thing though, because it doesn't account for base rate.

Offensive lineman selected in the first round become franchise stalwarts more consistently than first round wide receivers do. It's not particularly close: WRs bust constantly. No matter how good a WR prospect looks, I would nearly never call one a truly "safe" pick. The only exception that readily comes to mind from semi-recent memory is Calvin Johnson. He was a safe pick. Is Chase in that stratosphere? I don't think so.

I think Sewell is a safer choice than Chase is. That doesn't mean Sewell is a better choice than Chase is. Indeed at this point I tend to lean slightly toward Chase as my own preference, but I do so acknowledging that it comes with greater risk.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell - JaggedJimmyJay - 04-23-2021, 11:45 PM