Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Please Don't Waste This Season...
This has to be the year, right? This team HAS to contend and do better now, this very season. No excuses. No more next year. No more youth, injury, rebuilding, bad luck sob stories. The time to compete is now. It's always now in this league.

Why concern yourself with may or may not happen later, or what has happened before, when you have the ability to seize the moment as a playoff team, right in this very moment?

This team obviously started 8-0. There was something different about this group, even compared to similar rosters of recent seasons. They seemed to have progressed to that next step. There was almost a magic aura surrounding this year's roster. They were special. The season seemed special, and different. If any year was to be the year this was it.

Since that 8-0 start this team is 3-4. They were 2-2 with Andy Dalton after that magical start. I'm not sure I really need to explain where I'm going with this concern.

I guess the question is: Is the magic gone? Is that special feeling many of us had still there? Is it for you? Or are you now starting to doubt whether this year will be any different than the last? From a rational, unbiased, logical perspective, do you, as a fan, feel the same level of confidence you did earlier? Less? Perhaps even more?

Because for me, I'm starting to get that "I've seen this movie" feeling. Some may find that to be negative, and that's ok. But regardless, is simply me sharing my honest opinion on how I'm seeing this season develop.

Houston, primetime game. Loss. Arizona, primetime game. Loss. Denver, primetime game. Loss. Big divisional game against the Steelers. Loss.

Even more concerning is what we just saw. Up 14-3 against the Broncos. Outscored 17-3 in the second half. I've seen this movie. I saw it recently when we went into the locker room up 14-7 against the Cardinals only to be outscored 21-0 in the 3rd quarter. Want more examples?

-2015 playoffs against Indy. Outscored 13-0 in the 2nd half.
-2014 playoffs against San Diego. Outscored 20-0 in the 2nd half.
-2013 playoffs against Houston. Held to two field goals in the 2nd half, outscored 10-6 in the 2nd half.
-2012 playoffs against Houston. Outscored 14-0 in the 2nd half.
-2011 playoffs against Jets. Held to 7 second half points, outscored 10-7 in the 2nd half.
-2006 playoffs against Steelers. Outscored 17-0 in the 2nd half.

-We've been outscored in the 2nd half in EVERY single playoff game under Marvin Lewis. Every. Single One.
-The point totals after halftime in these games are 84-13. Our opponents have almost scored SEVEN times as much as us.
-We have had one touchdown in 6 playoff games in the 2nd half. One. In 180 minutes of football.

So, it's not necessarily the fact we may be without Andy that I find concerning. I've thought AJ has done admirably, and I feel pretty confident in his ability. I think the defense is playing great, and I think the breakdown Monday late was more a result of the environment and the offense's ability to keep them off the field. I still love our weapons, and I still think this team is stacked with talent.

What is concerning is what has plagued this team forever. With different cordinators, and different QB's, different schemes, etc. It's this teams ability to close out games and/or make the proper adjustments to counter the opponent. It's the mentality that seems almost scared to do anything other than take the foot off the gas and protect a lead. And I'm sorry, but all of that is a reflection on the head coach.

Can this team still do great things? You bet. Will they? I'll take the wait and see approach.

They have so much talent. AJ is playing pretty well, and I think he can only continue to improve. They'll get Eifert and Iloka back, which is huge. They have capable cordinators. It's all right there for the taking.

The recent loss on it's own is not that big of a deal. I thought they looked pretty good. And both teams looked evenly matched. The Steelers loss on it's own is not that big of a deal. A backup QB, who saw backup reps all week, with no experience, got thrown to the wolves. So I think we can be ok. I'm just not at all confident about it. And by it I mean Giggles. Make the ending to this movie different than what I'm guessing it's going to be.

Please, PLEASE, do NOT waste the start of what appeared to be a great season. For a great team, with great, great talent. For a town that has waited so long for it. Please win more now. Just prove to be a legitimate contender. Show up. Look well prepared, hungry, aggressive. Outclass rather than be outclass. As your leader says, "be a ***** pro". All of you. Every single person in that building. When the playoffs come, take all that talent you have and kick somebody right in the ***** teeth. NOW.

Basically, make all my years of bitching look stupid. Make me look stupid, Marvin. Get it done. No ***** excuses!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Please Don't Waste This Season... - Wes Mantooth - 12-31-2015, 03:12 PM