Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gruden, Newton & a nixed trade - How Andy became a Bengal
(08-03-2016, 12:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd normally understand gambling that a player would fall. In fact, I'd encourage it. We're talking about a franchise QB though... for a team that had no QB. The risk was too big. I'm honestly a little surprised that so many would side with Mike Brown over our coaches, who clearly thought trading up was the right move. I'd say Marv has the far better track record with personnel decisions (psst...that's an understatement).

As for how the non-trade worked out, like I said, we got lucky that Dalton was still there. That doesn't automatically mean that standing put was a smart move. Marv and Jay had the guy they wanted and had the common sense to realize that ensuring that they'd land their coveted QB was worth offering up say.. a 5th round pick. And fwiw, if the Bengals had to do it all over, I'd give up Clint Boling without blinking to ensure that we wind up with Dalton. Guards are easily replaceable. QBs are not.

We are talking about a franchise that did not have a quarterback at the time.  Knowing that Cam would be gone, the coaches said "we want Dalton".  That means that if you have to give up some draft picks to get him, then you do just that.  You get your quarterback.

And for anyone praising Mike Brown's "instincts"?  To quote a famous Bengal, "child please".
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gruden, Newton & a nixed trade - How Andy became a Bengal - OrlandoBengal - 08-03-2016, 12:42 PM