Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals, Zeitler won't reach an extension
(09-09-2016, 09:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, well I've gotta different take on this. Sure the DeCastro deal set the tone and Zietler has a case for getting top tier G money, but the last time the team was in this situation with a guard it punted. Boling's contract is not top tier money and is for $26M for 5 years. That's basically half the money DeCastro got.

The Bengals wouldn't pay Eric Steinbach at the end of the 2006 season and he signed with the Browns. Steinbach apparently was looking for a deal similar to the deal signed the year before by Steve Hutchinson which was a 7 year $49M deal, which was top tier guard money and is still a decent contract for a G even 10 years later.

I'm fairly sure we drafted Westerman to make Zietler expendable.

The Steinbach situation was a little different.  They basically had to make a choice to pay either the starting LT or the LG.  

I don't see a good reason why we can't keep him:

Ced is on a rookie deal
Bodine is on a rookie deal
Boling is on a very reasonable deal ($5 million per)
Boyd, Lafell, Core, Ericsson all on very cheap deals
Gio on a decent deal
Hill on a rookie deal

We pretty much have everyone locked up besides Dre (who, in my opinion, is the guy that walks as he hasn't performed up to the level of a $10 million corner) and Eifert.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals, Zeitler won't reach an extension - Hammerstripes - 09-09-2016, 11:30 PM