Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with?
(02-28-2017, 09:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry if this has already been explained but I am not going to read 8 pages of whining and crying to find out.

Mike Brown does not put unspent cap space into his pocket like some other owners.  Instead he rolls it over.

Each of the last two years the bengals have spoent ABOVE the league salary cap.  The were able to do this because of the money rolled over.  

Bengals are not ebing cheap.  The last two years they have been spending MORE than most other teams in the league on player salaries.

I'm not a huge FA proponent, but even I don't get it if this $15 mill stuff is true.

The point in rolling salary cap is so you can reup your key players and/or bring free agents in if you're going to be tight against the cap the following season.  However, setting aside cap dollars to roll into next year just so next year you can set aside more cap dollars to roll into the following year only makes sense if your strategy is to wait for the league to lose revenue, then strike when the cap goes down and everyone else has to dump salary to get under the cap.

Similarly, we are presumably setting aside $10 mill or so for extensions for Eifert and Burfict.  IMO, that's not particularly prudent.  Both men have issues staying healthy, and Burfict is a league target for dirty play.  It would better to see what they do this, particularly since neither plays a premium position that will carry a high tag amount.  Even if you're that sold on one or both, set your $10 mill aside, and if you can't get a deal done, roll it over to next year.  Don't set aside money to roll over into next year to keep guys you've already set money aside to extend this year.

I understand not taking the risks with the ridiculous amounts of guaranteed money the top tier FA's get, because it's difficult to get out from under their contracts.  At the same time, we rarely jettison underperforming coach's pets that we can easily upgrade over.

I'm not saying the organization is cheap when it comes to player salaries.  However, I don't get the strategy they're using.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with? - Whatever - 02-28-2017, 10:27 PM