Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot
(04-09-2017, 09:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hear ya.  It is undoubtedly a risk...especially with the apparent starter at LT. Cry

However, that first pick at Rd 2 is extremely valuable.  There are a lot of teams that will want to trade to it to get their guy at the beginning of day 2.  The Bengals could even package it with another pick and move back in to the first round to get a OT like Robinson if he is around, say #25?

More likely, however, is they could draft an impact player at DE or maybe a player like Njoku, TE, falls to the second round and is an immediate upgrade next to Eifert.  Regardless of the position group, that player would impact the team (provided they aren't a bust and they aren't injured, of course) next year.  AJM, while a great insurance policy, will likely just sit and watch.  Dalton has only missed extended action one time in his entire career, and it was a freak play.

If you offer me a player like Njoku, Cam Robinson, or Christian McCaffery vs. AJM sitting on the bench, I do it every day and twice on Sunday.  Plus, I like AJM and would like to see the guy get a chance.  
 I may be wrong, but all of those guys are likely gone by pick #25 (round 1). My point is we have all the cards with AJM. He makes less than $750K in 2017, we can also 1st round tender him for 3 million in 2018 so less than 2 million a year for a solid NFL backup minimum and could potentially be as good or better than guys that will be paid a lot more in the 2017 draft. The worst case scenario is we keep him in 2017 and let him go into FA in 2018 where very likely he signs for 10 million a year plus meaning 3rd round compensation. I understand he may not play one snap sitting the bench, but he also may be needed to bail us out in the event AD is injured.

Who do we trust on the roster right now other than AJM if Dalton is injured? I say no one which makes him more valuable than some want to admit. AJM played very well against a Denver defense on the road loaded with great pass rushers back in 2015 subbing for AD so he has shown he can do well against defenses albeit limited opportunity to show and thus prove it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot - Luvnit2 - 04-09-2017, 12:36 PM