Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot
(04-10-2017, 04:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...pet peeve of mine is comparing stats of a current generation of players to guys stats of 15-20 years ago. The NFL has changed. The rule changes, etc.

Guys throw more TD's now and put up more yards.

Look at Troy Aikman's career stats. (165 TD/141 INT) then look at a guy like Dalton (142 TD/81 INT).

Does that mean Dalton is considerably better than Aikman? No. They played in an era where the rules weren't as pass friendly.

-------------------
I think McCarron could go somewhere and be an above average Pro QB...

Dalton definitely has a stronger arm than McCarron. I don't see McCarron being able to step into a team as devoid of talent as a rookie and lead them to the playoffs like Dalton did.

Even on his Alabama teams...McCarron was a game manager on loaded teams. To think he's a sure bet to become an elite or even really good QB isn't realistic.

Do I think he could start somewhere and put up 3500-3700 yards and throw 25 TD's...YES. It's a passing league.

I don't disagree with any of this.

If AJM goes somewhere with a stud WR like AJ Green (he had Julio at Alabama) then it makes a huge difference.  If he goes to the Browns he's not going to set the world on fire.

The "game manager" label isn't really a negative term, it shows that a QB has control of the offense and keeps mistakes to a minimum.  That's important in today's NFL.

I think Chad Pennington is the floor and HOFer is the ceiling.  It all depends where he goes.  Since the Bengals can actually control that to some degree, I'm surprised they're not giving him a chance to be a starter somewhere like Cleveland, where he would be severely lacking in offensive weapons.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot - BigSeph - 04-10-2017, 06:44 PM