Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot
(04-12-2017, 01:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Context buddy...context. I wasn't comparing the long term prospects of the two. I was simply pointing out that the team fell off when Dalton went down. So why worry about keeping around a good backup when there is still a pretty massive drop off? That's all I was saying there. Maybe McCarron will get better as a starter, but he won't be a starter here. So he won't see that improvement in stripes.

Now to speak of McCarron's long term prospects, we just have to disagree. I'd be stunned if he developed to be as good as Dalton. Right now, Dalton is miles ahead of McCarron, and Mac is 27 years old. McCarron does not possess Dalton's physical tools (athleticism and arm) and Dalton is even further ahead mentally. People really underestimate Dalton's pre-snap ability. He puts us into better plays a lot more than some seem to realize. He's been a master of his offense from day 1, when Jay Gruden said Andy was correcting him on plays...as a rookie.

That's not even mentioning Dalton's quick release (mostly due to reading defenses pre-snap) which is a stark contrast to McC. Dalton came in with that ability. Or how much Dalton improved in the pocket. No guarantee McCarron can improve as much. Even if McCarron catches up to Dalton in some of these areas (which is not likely), there's other areas where he just can't catch up because he wasn't blessed with those abilities.

Agreed...and to extrapolate that out...Dalton is somewhere in the 12-15 range of NFL QB's. That would put AJ in the bottom half of starting QB's int he NFL.

Teams don't want to pay 1st Round picks for that. The Browns are looking at Trubisky #1 overall.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot - THE PISTONS - 04-12-2017, 01:17 PM