Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot
(04-14-2017, 03:43 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Brady started in 14 games in his first NFL playing time. Including playoffs, he started in 3 more games. So he started for 17 games and was sacked 46 times. His sack average was 2.7.

McCarron started in 4 games, however, came in after one series for the Steelers game. So can include that. So in 5 games he was sacked 15 times. His sack average was 3.

Now, there's something you're overlooking. The Patriots offensive line wasn't good. Even before Brady came in, in 2000 they gave up 48 sacks. In the 2 games that Bledsoe started, he was sacked 5 times. So the offensive line gave up 51 sacks that season as well. So between 2000 and 2001, the Patriots gave up 99 sacks in 2 seasons. I'm not throwing in 1999 because that would add ANOTHER 56 sacks. And 2002 they went down with 31, which isn't bad. But that offensive line struggled a lot and it gets overlooked.

In 2015, the Bengals gave up 20 sacks with Andy Dalton starting for 13 games (12 and one series technically since the Steelers game he got hurt). In 2014, they gave up 26 sacks including the playoffs. Andy Dalton only had 24 sacks that year. In 2013, the Bengals gave up 29 sacks, 32 if you include playoffs.

So you would have to go 3 years of Andy Dalton's sack average to get to the Patriots sack average for those 2 years.

Brady won IN SPITE of the offensive line. McCarron had more help around him that Brady did.

OK, cherrypicker......

I went directly to pro football reference, put Brady's stats and AJM's stats into a spreadsheet, Brady is listed above and AJM below.  I highlighted rate stats were AJM was better or equal to Brady in green.  This is a lot of green-

[Image: 2i12g4m.jpg]

Including Tom Brady's 15th, 16th, 17th games of NFL experience after seeing defenses for a year and comparing that to AJM's handful of games is disingenuous.

You don't calculate sack "average" based on games, you calculate it based on dropbacks.

And you ignore the fact that perhaps Tom Brady was sacked because Tom Brady was inexperienced.  His sack % went from 9.0 to 4.9 in the second year.  Unless of course you think the Patriots offensive line just "got better."

You're comparing a NFL QB with 5 years of experience and an NFL QB with 1 full year+playoffs of experience to a QB with 4+ games of NFL experience.  And you only want to talk about the sacks.

And you can't even talk about sacks properly.

What do you have to say about all the rate stats in green?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot - BigSeph - 04-15-2017, 06:57 PM