Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters
(07-23-2017, 07:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For the Cincinnati Bengals to get into the playoffs consistently and win once they get there, one mental obstacle exists.  This mental obstacle has hung over the Bengals like the Sword of Damocles for decades.  The obstacle of which I write used to be horrible.  They used to be the laughingstock of the entire NFL.  They were the perennial basement dwellers, the worst of the worst, and any team could beat them into a ketchup-like puddle of goo.  Even the Cleveland Browns could pound them into the turf on any given Sunday.

I'm talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Since the 1970s this hasn't been the case.  Pittsburgh has won more titles than anyone and since they are in the AFC North along with our beloved Bengals, it's time to talk about the Bengals' mental block about beating them.  Cincinnati fans share this.  Deep inside, we all know it's very seldom the Bengals beat the Steelers.  This has to change.  The black and yellow thugs are always in the Bengals' way and it's time to defeat this monster once and for all.  

The Cincinnati Bengals will not win a Super Bowl unless they look at the Steelers the way they look at the Browns:  An almost sure win.  I honestly think the Bengals play the Steelers scared even with the close call in the playoff game which the Bengals almost won.  The coaching staff either feeds off the players or doesn't prepare them well to face Pittsburgh and there's no reason for this.  I'm sick of it.  I'm sick of the excuses.  I'm sick of losing to those thugs.  I'm sick of their fans.  I hate their Terrible Towels.  

It's time for the Steelers to be scared.  Only the Cincinnati Bengals have the power to put them back where they were in the 1960s.  Last.

There is a lot of truth here, except the part about "an almost sure win".  There are hardly ever any of those in the NFL.  

I'm sick of their legion of turds that believe that because they root for pittsburgh that they are somehow not a turd.  I am extremely sick of the NFL and their ridiculous bias towards them.  I mean, that collection of holding vines could be used for an officiating training course.  14 of them?  Then they flag Whit for holding?  Sick.

The Bengals have to be able to do several things to be able to beat pittsburgh:

1.)  They need to avoid big plays.  No bombs to Martavias Bryant.  No crossing routes to Brown that go 80 yards because of a missed tackle.  They must earn every first down and every yard.  Our secondary has actually done a very good job of this.

2.) They need to hold Bell in check.  You aren't going to stop him, but he needs to be kept under 100 yards.  No allowing piggy to call plays from 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 1.  A healthy Burfict and an improved front four will be a huge difference here.

3.) Win the turnover battle.  It is always something stupid.  Boyd's knee supposedly not being down.  A tipped pass.  They simply can't have turnovers, and they need to do a better job generating them.  

4.) Attack them.  Don't wait until you are down 10 points to throw some haymakers.  The steelers secondary can and will be exploited.  

5.) Check downs.  Beat them at their own game.  When we have Ross, AJ, and Eifert burning downfield, have an outlet like Mixon, Boyd, or even Hewitt on a shallow crossing route that should have lots of space.  The steelers have made a living (and the pats for that matter) of these short passes that go for 10 yards after the reception that are high % and successful at moving the chains.  They also help to slow a pass rush. 

The good news is I believe their roster is now better constructed to defend the steelers and pats.  I'm anxious to see Minter, but I am optimistic that Vigil and Burfict will form a very strong nickel LB duo, and that the new pass rushing tools (Willis, Lawson, Billings, and maybe Hardison) are going to help Dunlap and Geno.  

I have no doubts that our offense is going to be head and shoulders better than last year, and they will be able to score 24 on anyone.  Will they be able to avoid pitt playing ball control and hold them to under 20 will be the key.  With all the things I have mentioned, along with the addition of guys like WJIII, a second year at starter for Williams, a contract year Burfict, Vigil in his second year, the new pass rushing talent, and the offenses ability to avoid 3 and outs will all help to contribute to a successful season against those assbags.  

I will add this:  If the Bengals do what I think they can do, I can't help but wonder if piggy doesn't see another title shot in his future and he retires to an old folks home where he can assault the nurses.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - car91 - 10-22-2017, 11:15 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - Steve - 07-23-2017, 07:58 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - McC - 07-23-2017, 09:48 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - Utts - 10-21-2017, 09:40 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - Steve - 07-26-2017, 07:48 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - kevin - 07-24-2017, 01:55 AM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - SHRacerX - 07-24-2017, 07:20 AM