Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters
(07-24-2017, 08:53 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I bet there is.

Here's the rub Harly, there exists a prohibition against fixing games for gambling purposes, but that's where it ends which is why the NFL (and other leagues) are always litigating against allowing open gambling in the games, but there's a huge gaping loophole to allow game fixing when it comes to television revenue and ticket sales. As long as gambling is kept out of the equation the public never seems to pick up on other perceptions of game fixing to keep television viewers tuned in and the league, broadcasters and advertisers are acutely aware of how the public perceives the whole thing. 
Big money gambling is perceived as being much more shady and criminal in nature than say, CBS, FOX or any network engaging in match fixing to boost TV advertising revenue and ticket sales. It really is a matter of perception and laws. If the public were to believe that every game was fixed by shady, back room gamblers nobody would watch which is why the league is so keen on keeping that perception out of the public mind. 
Now, do they actively engage in these practices? I don't honestly know, but if I were to gamble on whether they do or don't I'd place my bets on do. 
I don't really trust anyone when it comes to money and especially don't trust them when it comes to millions and millions of dollars. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - car91 - 10-22-2017, 11:15 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - Steve - 07-23-2017, 07:58 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - McC - 07-23-2017, 09:48 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - Utts - 10-21-2017, 09:40 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - Steve - 07-26-2017, 07:48 PM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - kevin - 07-24-2017, 01:55 AM
RE: Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters - grampahol - 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM