Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the Browns' trade for AJ McCarron fell apart
Thanks for reading/sharing and your questions. Also, for your patience. Sitting in Atlanta waiting to get to Jacksonville.

@GeorgeCantstandya - Do you think AJ is worth a 2nd round tender if he remains in restricted free agency status for 2018? Also what do to think the chances are that he gets his status overturned and ends up being an unrestricted free agent?

@JBBengalRFA appeal / 1st round tender

One - Love the handle George.
Yes, now that everyone knows he could have been had for a two, setting it at a two is reasonable. I don’t think a team would move to give up a one for him – they could get several bites on a two, though. Players rarely win these cases. Of course he feels he has a strong one, but since I can’t see exactly what his case is, I’m going to say the odds lean toward the Bengals.

@ShakenBlake - but did the Bengals even have any internal discussions about trading to improve this laughably bad o-line?

Honestly. No. And I know that to be true.

@Synric & @HarleyDog - You'd think the league would be willing to work with thr Browns over a paperwork mishap.

They would have if the Browns did ANYTHING to tell the league they were trying to get this done. They did nothing. They never communicated they were making a trade until after the deadline had passed. If the first time the league hears from you is 4:01, you’re SOL.

@SunsetBengal - Tells me that neither side must have been "all in" on the deal, otherwise it would have gotten done.

Untrue. Bengals were all in.

@ochocincos - If Garropolo only fetches a 2nd rounder, McCarron should not fetch more than that. // It was only in a desperation move by the Browns at the last minute to accept such a deal // You bring up a good point regarding the division rival. Perhaps it wouldn't have been a 2nd and 3rd if it were to a team outside of the division.

I think the Jimmy G trade from the night before helped change the price. To your second point – EXACTLY. And they got what they wanted. A haul for a backup QB. Honestly, I don’t fault the club for its prices on the QB2 at all. And yes, a division rival had to pay “more.” I know this.

@PhilHos - I still think this was all a ploy by the Bengals front office to keep us from lambasting the team for doing nothing about the offensive line.

Trust me – this never entered their mind, ever. The Browns accepted an offer that was quite unbelievable.

@ShakeNBlake - I'm more worried about now, with Green, Atkins and Dunlap all nearing 30.

Very valid concerns.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How the Browns' trade for AJ McCarron fell apart - jowczarski - 11-04-2017, 04:22 PM