Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals want miracle man on sidelines- Optimism of candidates belies negativity surro
(11-22-2017, 02:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's the NFL...almost any player you draft is good in college. You need scouts to determine if they fit your system. If they have a good attitude. If they are overated.

Take Ced - He had a major injury in college. He gave up a decent amount of sacks his last year in college. He played in a wide open offense with Manziel as his QB. He was very athletic and has a prototypical Tackle body. Our offensive line coach supposedly jumped on the table lobbying for him.

That's where scouts come in. The guy gave up a bunch of sacks and wasn't playing in a system close to ours. You need scouts to make the call. Instead the line coach made the call and he's pretty terrible.

A guy like Klingler played in a spread offense in college. How will that translate to the Pros? Scouts.

A guy like Akili Smith that had 1 good year in college? Is he a 1 year wonder or does he have the fundamentals to be a good Pro? Scouts.

When your coaches do the scouting, they're going to play guys they wanted drafted for way too long to try to prove the pick was ok. They're inheritantly biased.
I get what you are putting down, but if PA is lobbying hard for a player, like Ced, what good is a scout? Everybody and their brother saw his tape of getting beat a lot.
I agree that coaches are going to prove everybody wrong and wait too long to finally say they were wrong. Again that goes back to coaches. I usually get 2 or 3 draft magazines every spring, just to know who players are. I am being honest here, I don't even remember Ced being mentioned in any of those magazines...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals want miracle man on sidelines- Optimism of candidates belies negativity surro - sandwedge - 11-22-2017, 03:36 PM