Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People talk about firing Marvin...but I don't think Marvin wants to come back
(12-11-2017, 02:32 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Eh... Marv has shown he is a pretty good coach when the pressure is off, but a clueless nitwit when the lights go on. 

However, I don't know about a super bowl but I do believe Ben Roethlisberger would have won Marv at least a few playoff games. Hey, Peyton manning won a ring with Tony freaking Dungy so I guess it's possible. I believe an elite QB can make any subpar head coach look good (kinda like Ben is doing for Tomlin right now). 

Let's be real, aside from 2005 Carson Palmer Marv has never had an elite QB to mask his deficiencies. 

I have to disagree. I think Carson Palmer on those Steelers teams wins a lot more games than Ben ever would with those Marvin coached Bengals teams. Ben wasn't exactly the reason the Steelers were winning those championships. He took a backseat to the run game and defense. 

Over Ben's first 7 years (when his team made 3 SB runs), Ben averaged a measly 28.6 attempts/game. For comparison, Doug Marrone said he wanted Blake Bortles to pass as seldom as possible this year, and he's still averaging 31.5 attempts, which is considered low.

Over the last 7 years, the Steelers have leaned much more heavily on Ben's arm. He's averaged a whopping 37.1 attempts. The team is 3-4 in the playoffs (should be 2-5, but Bungles). 

To wrap this up, Ben has always been a turnover machine in the playoffs (23 INTs in 20 games) and the Steelers were better when they minimized his attempts and hid him behind a great run game and defense. Since they've had to rely on his arm, the playoff success has quickly evaporated. An INT prone QB mixed with Marvin Lewis in the playoffs = no wins. Ben would be even worse in Cincinnati.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: People talk about firing Marvin...but I don't think Marvin wants to come back - Shake n Blake - 12-11-2017, 03:15 PM