Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People talk about firing Marvin...but I don't think Marvin wants to come back
(12-11-2017, 03:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have to disagree. I think Carson Palmer on those Steelers teams wins a lot more games than Ben ever would with those Marvin coached Bengals teams. Ben wasn't exactly the reason the Steelers were winning those championships. He took a backseat to the run game and defense. 

Over Ben's first 7 years (when his team made 3 SB runs), Ben averaged a measly 28.6 attempts/game. For comparison, Doug Marrone said he wanted Blake Bortles to pass as seldom as possible this year, and he's still averaging 31.5 attempts, which is considered low.

Over the last 7 years, the Steelers have leaned much more heavily on Ben's arm. He's averaged a whopping 37.1 attempts. The team is 3-4 in the playoffs (should be 2-5, but Bungles). 

To wrap this up, Ben has always been a turnover machine in the playoffs (23 INTs in 20 games) and the Steelers were better when they minimized his attempts and hid him behind a great run game and defense. Since they've had to rely on his arm, the playoff success has quickly evaporated. An INT prone QB mixed with Marvin Lewis in the playoffs = no wins. Ben would be even worse in Cincinnati.

Plus, the Steelers offensive line was bad at pass blocking. I will say that Roethlisberger did good behind a bad line.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: People talk about firing Marvin...but I don't think Marvin wants to come back - THE PISTONS - 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM