Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Austin Promises Defense Will "Play Without Fear!"
(01-24-2018, 09:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My memory of all those close games Carson pulled out at the end involved us trailing the entire game or at least being very close.  The Bengals have never lost a game because Marvin played too conservative with a lead.  We have blown leads in the second half, but it has not been because we ran the ball too much or played too conservative.

But before this thread goes completely off the rails I just want to go back to my original point.  Coaches always say they are playing to win.  So I won't believe there are any big changes until I see it happen on the field.
Even if that were true, that still proves that he was playing conservative all game trying to play "not to lose" and keep it close because he knew Carson could run the two-minute drill late and pull out the win.

If he were playing to win the game, we could have been aggressive all game or at least tried to move the chains more instead of running the ball so much and trying to milk the clock.
(01-24-2018, 02:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 1) You asked for when we had some massive changes prior to this offseason and I answered. It's not my fault you don't like the answer.

Also, they have yet to demonstrate there's a change in the "actual" mindset of the team/franchise and in the way things are done. Heck, in Mike's interview with Jim O. he basically reiterates for the umpteenth time that the Bengals are not changing the way they do things!

2) You're missing the point. Yes, it's his MO, No one would deny that. But Merv would never admit to coaching timidly. Hence, the fact that he SAYS we're going to be agressive means squat when he has never coached agressive before AND when you consider this isn't the first time he says he needs to be agressive.

Here's a quote from Merv after the 2nd Steelers game in 2012: 

So, you'll excuse me if I don't believe Merv saying he'll be aggressive when he's said it before yet still coaches like a p***y.

1) Those weren't massive changes or changes in the organization, but just medium changes in the roster and coaches to try and keep Carson.  Nothing ever changed in the approach to free agency, the draft, Marvin's coaching, etc., like it looks like it has changed now.

From that interview:
Quote:We’ve had more changeover in the assistant coaching level than I can remember short of changing the head coach. That would bring a lot of fresh ideas in here. We’re in need of some fresh ideas. I look forward to how it will be put together a little differently than before.
Looks forward to different from before, so looks like a change in the way they do things.  

Also, Marvin saying they'll be aggressive in free agency and all that is a change in the way they do things, so that's yet to be seen, but looks promising.

2)  He said "keep coaching aggressively," which he never did in the first place, so how could he "keep" doing it?!  It has yet to be seen, I'll give you that, but it looks like Marvin knows that now's the time and he has to change and go after wins more.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Austin Promises Defense Will "Play Without Fear!" - BFritz21 - 01-24-2018, 06:15 PM