Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc.
(01-23-2022, 08:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dill Wrote:I don't think the memes creators are "assigning collective guilt to a whole race for the actions of one member."

Maybe, maybe not.  Neither of us know one way or the other.  We can only go on the language they chose to use.

Quote:What I'm not down with is reading figural language literally to create a strawman. 

Was that what they were doing?  This is a rather large assumption on your part. I acknowledge not knowing the intent of the creators statement, only going by its actual wording.  You claim to know the intent of the author along with discounting the actual wording they chose to use.  Between the two of us it's not hard to determine who's on shaky ground.

So when you don't like/get the import of a direct, literal language you choose to read it figurally,

and when you don't like/get the import of figural language, you choose to read it literally.

As if memes were like Constitutional Law, and you represent the "textualist" school of interpretation.

By "discounting the actual wording" addressing deployment of King's memory/example against civil
rights protestors, you have reconstructed as "original intention" the simple, absurd yet serious claim that all white people killed MLK.

A rather large assumption on your part, but a safer than addressing the actual example of King in past and present
work for civil rights.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc. - Dill - 01-24-2022, 01:41 PM
Polish terrorist attack - StLucieBengal - 04-17-2018, 01:59 AM
RE: Polish terrorist attack - GMDino - 04-17-2018, 09:05 AM