Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals MUST defend this against Carolina
(09-21-2018, 09:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: No, you really can't. You can get away with guys following in zone on the outside, but not in the backfield because of the two way go. You'd have to have him playing man which means your not going to put zone behind that, it just would leave too big of gaps. The other issue is that means you are in dime personnel because you can't leave a LB out on a slot WR when they go 3 wide since a CB is taking the HB. Now we are in dime personnel all game, which puts us at a mismatch on the slot with Dennard on CMC and Phillips or Mcrae on DJ Moore, and so Carolina starts running a bunch of inside zone and killing us as their O line are now getting to the second level on DB's instead of LB's. When we sell out to stop the run from our dime personnel package they crush the slot mismatch. 

CMC is not going to single handily beat us catching check down passes. We will probably play zone mainly with some press man on longer 3rd downs. As someone else said you can slow down CMC by sending extra blitzers and making him stay in to block. You don't get too cute and break fundamental football concepts for CMC, he is good but he isn't as good as guys here are acting like Le'Veon Bell is better and we have bottled him up before. 

I don’t believe you have to stay in dime. You would essentially be playing Dennard as a nickel backer. If Shawn Williams can do it, Dennard could do it better.

If we rely on this LB crew to stay with CMC in space, it will be an easy day of pitch and catch for Cam and Co.

I remember WAY back when Marv played an extra LB in an effort to stuff Jamal Lewis, the Ravens RB, and it worked. Changed our entire strategy for one player.

I just don’t think the rest of that team is up to the task. Stop CMC, limit Cam to the pocket and they will win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals MUST defend this against Carolina - SHRacerX - 09-21-2018, 12:20 PM