Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash?
(10-18-2018, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So simple for a fan to say something like this because they assume that their decisions would always be correct and there is no way to prove them wrong.

I don't but that.  I think if the blitz had worked at the end of the game you all would have been calling it a great decision.  Funny how you all want Marvin to be more aggressive and then when he is and it does not work you grill him for being too aggressive.

Like I said.  easy to be right all the time when you have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and the ability to claim your plan would always have worked.

OK, so you are telling me that Mixon couldn't get 1 yard on 2 tries, he didn't get it on the 1st try, so you that means he can't get it on his 2nd try?  That Dalton is unable to keep the ball and get 1 yard?  The the Steelers defense is just so freaking awesomely amazing that they would stop us on 4th down no matter what?  Get real.

No, I don't know if going for it on 4th and 1 would have worked.  However I have seen Dalton use the hard count to get people to jump offsides pretty regularly.  I have seen teams line up to go for it on 4th down, and take a penalty when they failed to get the needed movement.  I also know that in snapping the ball and failing to convert isn't the worst thing to happen at this point in the game and even with it tied. 

Plenty of coaches go for it on 4th and 1 when past mid field and outside of FG range.  Even with the game tied. 

You should stop with the 20/20 hindsight BS because in this situation I, and many others, would have preferred that we go for it no matter what the outcome was.  We just have enough of an understanding to realize that odds are, we convert more than we don't.  I would have been happy if we just LINED up like we were going to go for it to try to get Watt or someone else to jump again, if not, take a 5 yard penalty, then punt.  Nope, the kicking unit went out immediately and there was no thought to going for it or not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4th and 1... Where is the Media backlash? - YsCascadia - 10-18-2018, 03:52 PM