Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If GM holding Marvin back, then why has Marvin never left to a better Opportunity/GM?
(11-26-2018, 04:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What you fail to acknowledge is that Mike did not change at all.  He still signed low level cheap free agents.  The only difference was that Marvin and his staff were better at coaching and got more from the same level of signings.

If getting good performances out of cheap signings had anything to do with "seeing the potential" then it would have happened under other coaches.  But it didn't.  NOTHING about the level of free agents signed changed.  Therefore the "front office" deserves NO CREDIT for the improvement.  The only difference was better coaching.

And you still have refused to answer my question.  I was man enough to answer your so please answer mine.  Since you say Marvin is part of the "front office" then you are claiming that Marvin refused to do anything for the O-line except trade for Glenn, and draft Price. Soooooo. . . . .

Why exactly do you think Marvin wants to lose and look bad instead of spend Mike Brown's money for better Free Agents to win more games?

You imply that the Rosters of the 1990's were EXACTLY the same Caliber as those of Marvin's era, since Mike hasn't changed.

Just in QB decisions ALONE the Rosters were Greatly better in Marvin's era than the 1990's. Carson/ Dalton versus Akili & Company.

You want to PRETEND that all a GM does is sign Free Agents, while IGNORING the impact of Draft decisions such as the QB difference shown above.

I answered your question and in an earlier Post I said that Marvin does not have a total influence as part of the Front Office but a great enough influence to have Mike looking like a better GM than he was in the 1990's. Mike retains players by preventing players like Geno & Dunlap from becoming Free Agents. Maybe Mike should have let Geno & Dunlap become Free Agents & them sign them back just to make it clear to you that his retention of players altered a near future Free Agent Market.

Marvin does not get everything he may want but his influence in Front Office decisions can't be denied. You pretend he has no influence, yet Marvin Era Rosters are not the same low Caliber as the 1990's Rosters & you say Mike has not changed but I say Mike's GM decision making was changed & altered by Marvin's influence.

Every time one of Marvin's teams lines up across from another Head Coach's team; you see Marvin as a Victim who is Out Rostered before the game begins.

Meanwhile, other Coaches around the League work with an equal amount of talent whether you believe it or not or find ways to win with Key players out with injuries. Lose starting QB's and win Super Bowls with a backup, let excellent players leave via Free Agency yet keep their train rolling.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If GM holding Marvin back, then why has Marvin never left to a better Opportunity/GM? - depthchart - 11-26-2018, 05:08 PM