Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If GM holding Marvin back, then why has Marvin never left to a better Opportunity/GM?
(11-26-2018, 10:08 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: The very best teams win in the playoffs the most often, not just make it.
When you think of the VERY best teams when it comes to January, who do you think of?

Chargers have one less playoff appearance than the Bengals. But have gone to the conference championship. Have also won 4 games. Being 4-6.

You can't be "the very best" when you haven't won a playoff game in those 16 years. Especially when 13/16 of the NFL has won a playoff game during that time frame. That's 81% of the league. The Bengals are part of the 19%.

That's not being a part of the very best. That's part of being the very worst.

I'm 26 years old, about to be 27 in January. The Bengals have never won a playoff game since I've been alive.
16 of those 26 years are with Marvin. That's not good, no matter how much you try to spin it.

Marvin has been given chance after chance to rebuild this team how he wants. Yes. Mike Brown is a bad owner. But the Bengals have had NUMEROUS great players and coordinators.

You're going to sit there and tell me a team with as much talent as the Bengals have had the past 7 years that Marvin should be off the hook because of Mike Brown? That's ridiculous.

Marvin is mediocre. He's drafted this team. He's put together THIS team.

I could give countless stats about how Marvin ranks against other coaches who make the playoffs, but you'll just ignore them.

Marvin Lewis is our Jeff Fisher. He is our Jim Mora.
The Bengals will not win a playoff game with him. And that's on HIM.
4 of his 7 playoff games; the Bengals were shut out completely in the 2nd half.
Only 2 of his 7 playoff games did the Bengals even score a TD in the 2nd half.

He's been outscored 96-29.
That's an average of 4 points per second half.

So. No. This is not one of the very best teams.
Again, those teams that have made it more than the Bengals have won a Super Bowl.
Those that tied with the Bengals, have made a Super Bowl.
Marvin can't even get out of the wildcard spot, and 26 other teams have done that at least once since he's been here.

This has always been some of the most damning evidence against Marv. You simply don't go from "enough talent to win 10+ games" to "shut out 4 times (out of 7) in the 2nd half of playoff games". Not with the players I listed. Not with Palmer, Dalton, Chad, AJ, Eifert, Gio, Marvin Jones, Housh, Benson, etc.

The free agency excuse is waifer thin when you consider these facts. A free agent might help us if we were competitive. We haven't been. Only 1 playoff game was even within 1 score. And what difference is a big free agent going to make when Marv can't even get guys like Atkins and AJ Green to produce like themselves? 

That's the dirty little secret we ignore while pining for free agents every March. We crave any reason for hope, but with Marvin Lewis, there is none. The guy has proven for almost 2 decades that he can't get it done. End. Of. Story.

(11-26-2018, 10:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is actually not a lot of talent spread out over 15 years.

Marvin has had 17 position players selected to the Pro Bowl and 4 who were All Pro.  Over the same period of time the Steelers have had 27 and 10.  Ravens have had 26 and 13.  Even one of the worst teams in the league over that span, the buffalo Bills, had 22 players selected to the Pro Bowl.

Um, yes that is a lot of talent.

And your Pro Bowl stat is once again misleading. Please list the number of Pro Bowls...not the "players" named to the Pro Bowl.

For example, Chad Johnson made the Pro Bowl 6 times. How many Bills players made it that many times?

(11-26-2018, 11:21 PM)SladeX Wrote: "fredtoast

No, but I will point out that we drafted three Pro Bowl players in 2010 (Gresham, Dunlap, Atkins); 2 more Pro Bowlers and a top starter in 2011 (Dalton, Green, Boling); and 4 more players in 2012 who all received huge free agent contracts (Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Sanu, Jones) plus another guy who was a 5 year starter in the league (Iloka).

That is a ton of talent in three years.  I don't expect drafts like that every year, but it is not impossible"

Quoted from another thread. Thanks Fred!

More double-speak from Fred. When his argument requires it, we got a "ton" of talent. When defending Marv, we didn't have enough to win playoff games. LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If GM holding Marvin back, then why has Marvin never left to a better Opportunity/GM? - Shake n Blake - 11-28-2018, 12:55 PM