- If they stay:

Turner
Kirkpatshit
Dalton
Glenn
Price
Vigil

If they go:

Taylor (he needs another year to put his players in place, if he sucks in 2020 then bye Felicia. If we make a HC change after one year I think it would be a disaster)
Green (Burrow needs a top receiver to throw too, I say tag AJ and make him prove he can stay healthy)

(12-20-2019, 03:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What if I gave you an alternative?

AJ Green's tag is 18 million. He really wants a long term deal, which will very likely be $16+ mill a year for multiple years.
Rather than bring Green back, put that money toward Cory Littleton or an OL and then draft a WR on Day 2?
We've seen that WRs can come in as rookies and have a big impact, plus this is one of the best WR classes in years so the talent on Day 2 should be outstanding.

I think that's a better improvement than Green+rookie OL/LB.

(12-20-2019, 04:25 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: The trouble is you solve one hole by creating a new one and the Bengals don't have enough draft picks to fill all their holes. That second round pick then stops you filling a different hole.

I think the Bengals will lack high draft picks more than cap room this off-season.

What the off-season will turn around is whether they can get a suitor for Dalton. Get a draft pick for him and get his $17m cap hit freed up and you can still sign Littleton and AJ Green, use that second round pick on protecting Burrow and still have the pick from the Dalton trade remaining.

What we need is Dalton to play lights out in a tie against Miami and then in a win against the Browns to drive up his trade value.

(12-20-2019, 04:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct but the intent is to 1) get a player in his prime (Littleton) vs someone who's been injured a lot the past few years and exiting his prime (AJ), and 2) going after a position in the draft with a really strong draft class vs one that doesn't really have a lot of great prospects (WR vs LB).

(12-20-2019, 05:34 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I can see the logic in that approach (that should also have been the strategy at the trade deadline) it's just I don't think re-signing Green precludes them from going after a player like Littleton as well.

With it being a strong WR draft I'd still look to draft a receiver but maybe look at utilizing a later pick if good WRs are going to fall because of the depth. Where re-signing AJ would help is that they wouldn't need to reach for someone at WR who can start immediately, they can instead target someone to eventually replace Ross (whose option won't be taken up for next year). There's always a premium on players who can start immediately, by forgoing the need for immediate impact you can get value later in the draft. Another Marvin Jones would certainly be nice.

(12-20-2019, 05:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: But Free agency will happen before the draft and they will have opportunities to fill holes there more so if not paying a WR to not play.

I think in the end Xeno nailed it, cannot pay big money for a guy who is always injured even if I love AJ Green.

We can get a guy like Amari Cooper for big money who is young and a great Receiver in his own right if we want to do that.

Getting Littleton and a decent O-lineman in FA along with Burrow and an early WR in the Draft is the way i'd go.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Worst Case Offseason Scenario? - J24 - 12-18-2019, 06:02 PM
RE: Worst Case Offseason Scenario? - J24 - 12-18-2019, 06:04 PM
RE: Worst Case Offseason Scenario? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 12-20-2019, 07:43 PM
RE: Worst Case Offseason Scenario? - TKUHL - 12-22-2019, 12:39 PM