Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade
(02-15-2020, 10:50 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Again though, I wouldn't say he's outright terrible; he made some in-game mistakes, but he was a rookie coach (Marv made a shit-ton of mistakes up until he left and even then, the majority of them were in his first 4 years).

If he had a stacked team, no injuries and still performed the way the team did, I'd say he's horrible too.

But after last season, the jury's still out, with some terrible tendencies, but he's definitely not, "outright terrible until proven otherwise."

He did some good things that the other guys I mentioned could not; he:

- Kept the lockerroom together and constantly fighting (Kitchens, Gase, Lynn and Marrone couldn't)
- Rotated and tried young guys out, different combinations and tried to see what stuck and what didn't (Gase, Flores, Lynn didn't)
- Changed scheme up and shifted when things were getting stale (NONE of the coaches I mentioned did any of that)
- Cut bait on players that needed to be gotten rid of/receive less playing time (Only the Browns got rid of dead bait and that's less on the coaching, more on Dorsey. The Dolphins got rid of a ton of talent for draft picks that may or may not be a good decision; we'll see 2 years from now).

We know his failings, but to say he was 100% inept/out of depth/bad/terrible/etc., is hyperbole at worst and hating at best.

The other coaches are already on the hot seat and/or gone from their team, due to their seasons last year (aside from Flores); Zac isn't as he deserves at least 1 more year with a healthy team. If he STILL shits the bed with no injuries and a more stacked team, then I'm all for punting him.

The main reason why he definitely deserves another season, is the team improved in many areas down the stretch; run D was better, run O was better, turnovers were fewer, more points scored, more sacks, more picks, etc.

Everyone points to the teams we played being worse, but then you have a Cleveland team stomp the shit out of Bmore; any given Sunday indeed.

After a (hopefully) good draft and a sound (not expecting anything ridiculous) Free Agency, I think Zac will get the guys playing hard and make a believer out of everyone... but we'll see.

Fair enough and good points.

Not that it would have mattered(only a handful more IMO)but I could have seen Marvin, and yes with Dalton, win some of those games.

That being said, it doesn't mean I'm a "Dalton Ganger" or pine for Marvin over another coach.

It more or less says that Zac wasn't the answer just like Marvin wasn't.  He just proved it quicker.

People were and still are making excuses just like they state Dalton apologists do. 

Hell let's just throw out anomaly examples like Tom Landry's greatness for losing week after week to squeeze out false optimism.

As for Catmandude, who acts as if "Anyone is better than Marvin and boasts that the team will win 10+ games even with Dalton and no way he'll have a worse record than Marvin" never happened, is not telling the truth.

There were MANY on this board that thought Zac would take the team from the abyss with innovation/mental savvy and even get players to improve(which almost every position declined through the season).

Other than some blocking changes I did not see anything that shows promise of coaching(most importantly playcalling)besides some players playing hard.

They boosted in a few areas against some pretty poor teams in the end.  Big deal.

I don't GAF about eating crow after watching this team flail and fail, my patience is thin and some dumbass immature poster isn't going to make me look foolish for feeling skeptical.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
B - Nately120 - 02-13-2020, 03:41 PM
RE: Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade - BengalsRocker - 02-15-2020, 11:26 AM