Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bengals set on taking Burrow
(02-15-2020, 12:38 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Yeah they dont even try to hide how bad they are at lying to stir up drama anymore. And people stand in line for their dose of it, and without thinking objectively at all or often without even reading every word written or doing any speck of fact-checking, get all fired up emotionally. Emotion is stronger than intelligence for some folks when it comes to any kind of news in recent years. Combined with social media, "Jerry Springer News" is a real crutch in our culture these days if you ask me. 

Not to pile on, but SO MUCH THIS.

Shenmue III came out on 11/19/19 and sold 20,000+ physical copies in Japan (a poor market for the series, historically), 7,500+ copies in Spain and there were 3 special editions, totaling 5,500 copies between them.

These were sales in just the first two weeks; if your math is like mine, that should read approximately 33,000+ copies of the game.

This is NOT taking into account the rest of the world (US, UK {big Shenmue country there}, Canada, the rest of Europe, Asia, Australia, etc.) and this was strictly physical sales on 1 platform (PS4; game is also on PC). These were the *only* concrete, factual numbers that are available to public, worldwide.

A report surfaced this week that an independent company was conducting a fiscal report for the publisher of the game and they were using a 3rd party website (that has 0 professional credentials, employees or just anything professional; it is essentially a site run by videogame fans in their spare time), for the hard sales data...

... except the data has 0 to do with sales, it has to do with "number of players," and follows their own methodology of, "so long as the person has unlocked one trophy in the game (which trophies do not exist on the PC), it counts as one of our players that we track."

A hardcore member of the site posted this on the #1 fansite for the series. First off, the amount of sane and intelligent (well, after this, who knows if they are lol) fans who immediately cried that the series was done or whatever, didn't use their brains and just resorted to emotions. This in turn, had 5, "videogame NEWS websites," take posts on a message board and threw up the article title, "Deep Silver to lose $8,000,000.00 on Shenmue III."

They literally pulled a random number, THE ENTIRE FISCAL QUARTER SALES (because how can you determine if something lost money if not compared to the rest of the company's games?) OF EVERY OTHER GAME PUBLISHED BY THE PUBLISHER *and* wrote a lengthy article blaming one game, just because of A MESSAGE BOARD POST, BASED UPON THE INCORRECT FINDINGS OF A VIDEOGAME , "TRACKING SITE," RUN BY UNPROFESSIONAL FANS.

Any journalism is borderline horrific nowadays and I'm actually a bit relieved that I did not pursue that line of work after all, in the end (my apologies, Benton).

Sorry for the essay, but I needed to give background otherwise nobody wouldn't have the faintest clue of what I was talking about lol.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Bengals set on taking Burrow - Trademark - 02-14-2020, 02:39 PM
RE: Bengals set on taking Burrow - J24 - 02-14-2020, 04:58 PM
RE: Bengals set on taking Burrow - J24 - 02-15-2020, 12:19 AM
RE: Bengals set on taking Burrow - J24 - 02-15-2020, 12:14 AM
RE: Bengals set on taking Burrow - Truck_1_0_1_ - 02-15-2020, 02:30 PM
RE: Bengals set on taking Burrow - Nati#1 - 02-21-2020, 01:12 PM
RE: Bengals set on taking Burrow - Nati#1 - 02-21-2020, 11:08 PM