Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The difference with this Free agent haul
(03-28-2020, 11:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This may sound odd, but a better rush defense will make it easier to pass defense.  Like I said, 3rd and 9 vs. 3rd and 2.

I seriously doubt that Dre should be on the side of better pass coverage.  And we didn't lose a safety for Vonn Bell.  He was a plus acquisition.  Dennard for Alexander is a tough one.  I really liked Dennard, but he would have commanded roughly $4-6 million more per year to retain than adding the younger, and more durable, Alexander.  Bynes is an overall superior player to Vigil.  

One thing that is often discounted when comparing player stats to player stats is how did that player's team fare with them?  Waynes, Bell, Bynes, Alexander, and Reader all came from playoff teams.  What did Vigil and Dre do in the past few years?  When the game is on  the line, opposing teams targeted them.  No longer.  

It wasn't robbing Peter to pay Paul.  It was cutting Peter because he couldn't get the job done in the only category that matters:  wins.  Paul has a better resume and therefor got the job.  Will it pay off?  I sure hope so, but you need to look beyond someone's PFF ratings and think about game situations and overall making plays to help the team.  

Yep, stop the run and get the Offense in 2nd and 3rd and longs, no Offense likes this.

On the other hand no Defense likes getting ran on.

Nor should any fan like seeing his team get ran on.

(03-28-2020, 11:49 AM)Wyche Wrote: After looking at the haul after it's most likely done, I see a couple of points to be made about last season. First off, iirc, we had barely gotten our defensive coaching staff assembled before the combine. That's probably why we saw a bunch of former players familiar to the coaches. There wasn't much time to figure out much of a FA targeting strategy, plus there hadn't been many cuts to the current roster, if any. Second, it kind of looks like last year was a wasted roster evaluation to the schemes they wanted to run kinda year.

Now, it looks as though there was a definite and well thought out strategy as to who they targeted and they got aggressive in getting it done. Well done I say. The only question that remains is will it all come together and pay off, and will the coaching "look better" as a result of acquiring personnel better suited to their vision? Can't knock em for trying.

True that Wyche, they have a plan clearly and have had a full Offseason to plan and build the new roster.

We haven't even Drafted yet, I am excited seeing the team make big moves for once and having a clear plan.

We can judge Zac from here on out which will be nice. Pretty hard to judge him with mostly Marv's roster last year.

Same with Lou.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-30-2020, 03:32 PM