Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New culture of accountability?
Jessie Bates:

"You heard around the league the Bengals don't reach out to players in free agency and spend a lot of money because that's always been their philosophy. They've always been comfortable with some of the guys in the locker room. I think now it kind of gives the players an eye opener. They're not going to keep a lot guys around if they're not getting the job done. Whether that's not getting a contract extension if not playing well in that first year, nobody's safe, I think that puts a little bit of fire under a lot of people and opened their eyes a little bit. At least to the guys that have been there for a while."

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-young-defensive-leaders-can-t-wait-exactly-what-we-needed
Reply/Quote
This does sound encouraging! Maybe we were all put off during Zac Taylor’s first season because other than quarterback no one was benched.

This lends credence to what I thought a few months ago. As far as I can tell, the Bengals used 2019 as an evaluation season; sort of an extended training camp so to speak. The free agency frenzy proves this I believe because players are walking, being cut, and I can envision some trades coming along too.

The Draft is three weeks from tonight! The #1OA pick is a slam dunk but I’m looking forward to seeing who the Bengals select at #33 and beyond.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 03:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This does sound encouraging! Maybe we were all put off during Zac Taylor’s first season because other than quarterback no one was benched.

This lends credence to what I thought a few months ago. As far as I can tell, the Bengals used 2019 as an evaluation season; sort of an extended training camp so to speak. The free agency frenzy proves this I believe because players are walking, being cut, and I can envision some trades coming along too.

The Draft is three weeks from tonight! The #1OA pick is a slam dunk but I’m looking forward to seeing who the Bengals select at #33 and beyond.

Well he couldn’t bench everybody. He chose not to play Price and started UDDA WRs over vets. I mean he did what he could in a bad situation and also tried Fred Johnson over Hart. That’s why I had hope things would start to change.
Reply/Quote
Zac was saying since last year, that people would be held accountable.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
If this is true and Zack is the cause than I am for Zack 110%.
Reply/Quote
And I hope it will apply to those in management responsible for some atrocious drafts in recent times.

If players are held accountable than so must management and coaches be held accountable.

Leaders lead from the front.
Reply/Quote
This is great. I think it was Hubbard who was saying pretty much the same thing. Some of the guys who are no longer here are probably shocked because this is the team you came to for stability and assurance. Now it's either play your heart out or GTFO! Love it. No more broken nails, paper cuts and concussions that take 20yrs to recover. Also, I bet nobody does the arm flailing thing this year either. LOL

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 04:08 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Well he couldn’t bench everybody. He chose not to play Price and started UDDA WRs over vets. I mean he did what he could in a bad situation and also tried Fred Johnson over Hart. That’s why I had hope things would start to change.

He never tried Johnson over Hart, but he did cut Preston Brown mid season.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 04:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Zac was saying since last year, that people would be held accountable.

Everyone except coaches apparently.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Taylor on the accountability of his Bengals coaching

'I know that we need to be better than 2-14, there’s no doubt. That’s on me.' 

'To only win two games, that’s a reflection on the entirety of the team and the coaching staff.'

Zac Taylor
Reply/Quote
Great to hear and see !

Perhaps there won't be any more players walking out onto the field of play in their overcoats ?
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 06:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: 'I know that we need to be better than 2-14, there’s no doubt. That’s on me.' 

'To only win two games, that’s a reflection on the entirety of the team and the coaching staff.'

Zac Taylor

He put blame on himself all year long.  But that doesn't fit into Fred's narrative.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I heard all this last year... To hell with accountability. Win some games. I didn't see too much accountability from Zac Taylor last year either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 06:30 PM)McC Wrote: He put blame on himself all year long.  But that doesn't fit into Fred's narrative.

Sayin' it is one thing, but if you're gonna bench the starting QB for a scrub, you should probably turn over play calling to the OC as well. For one, it lightens the load on the HC. Second; he's not very good at it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 05:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone except coaches apparently.

Refresh my memory, don't we have coaches who are not returning?
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 06:36 PM)jason Wrote: I heard all this last year... To hell with accountability. Win some games. I didn't see too much accountability from Zac Taylor last year either.

Yeah, we heard how great the locker room was after Pacman and Iloka left...and we went on to win 2 games.

Talk is cheap. All that matters is results.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 07:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, we heard how great the locker room was after Pacman and Iloka left...and we went on to win 2 games.

Talk is cheap. All that matters is results.

Yep... I'll give Zac this much though: he talks a good game, and at least publicly the players have his back. They were getting beat all year and Boyd and Mixon were still woofing about nobody can stop them if they play their game.

I'm giving Taylor a mulligan, but I wasn't impressed last year.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 06:39 PM)jason Wrote: Sayin' it is one thing, but if you're gonna bench the starting QB for a scrub, you should probably turn over play calling to the OC as well. For one, it lightens the load on the HC. Second; he's not very good at it.

So, you're, what, 0-8 and going nowhere?  Sounds like the perfect time to see what you have in the rookie since the season is clearly lost. 

We'll see how looks calling plays this year.  That will be a much more conclusive test, since his team already looks like a better team than last year's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 03:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Jessie Bates:

"You heard around the league the Bengals don't reach out to players in free agency and spend a lot of money because that's always been their philosophy. They've always been comfortable with some of the guys in the locker room. I think now it kind of gives the players an eye opener. They're not going to keep a lot guys around if they're not getting the job done. Whether that's not getting a contract extension if not playing well in that first year, nobody's safe, I think that puts a little bit of fire under a lot of people and opened their eyes a little bit. At least to the guys that have been there for a while."

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-young-defensive-leaders-can-t-wait-exactly-what-we-needed

Just great stuff Holic, I am excited this year. I honestly don't know how good we will be but there seems to be a trend going on.

A trend that is different than we have seen in the past and now Taylor is adding his players to the team and integrating them.

Good guys that can tackle and are versatile. I see us going more man to man with the additions of Bell, Waynes and Alexander 
and this should only help ballhawks like Bates and Phillips. Should also help Will Jax to get back to where he was a few years ago.

I am liking the plan. Change the culture, most of us knew this was the foundation of the problem. Taylor is on it with the help of 
the FO this time around. There wasn't much help last Offseason and it was such little time for Taylor to evaluate what he had.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 08:32 PM)McC Wrote: So, you're, what, 0-8 and going nowhere?  Sounds like the perfect time to see what you have in the rookie since the season is clearly lost. 

We'll see how looks calling plays this year.  That will be a much more conclusive test, since his team already looks like a better team than last year's.

Yeah... Still need to see how the draft plays out on offense, but we know AJ is a game changer for the entire unit when he's right. I know they didn't exactly beat world-beaters, but it's easy to forget the Bengals were leading division in October of 2018... I know that horrible defense bailed them outta one game, but still. They've always hovered around .500 at worst when AJ Green is available.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote