Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mixon- Bengals had productive talks
(05-19-2020, 01:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, here's Mixon's position ranks by year, along with his YPC (Yards Per Carry):

Rushing Yards - 30th
Rushing TD's - 27th
Receptions - 33rd
Receiving Yards -24th
Reciving TD's - 60th (Tied w/ 0)
YPC - 3.5

Rushing Yards - 4th
Rushing TD's - 11th
Receptions - 18th
Receiving Yards -22nd
Reciving TD's - 28th
YPC - 4.9

Rushing Yards - 8th
Rushing TD's - 24th
Receptions - 28th
Receiving Yards -24th
Reciving TD's - 8th
YPC - 4.1

Fwiw, I'm not really posting these to be an analysis of his skill, or to accrurately gauge his worth.  But I do think you can use some of this to explain why or why not he would deserving "elite" money.

A few things to consider,

1.) His rookie year he shared duties, and only played in 14 games, with only 7 starts.  And yeah, he was a rookie.
2.) He's played with God awful lines in each of his 3 seasons.
3.) He played on a horrible team in 2019, with another awful line.

So I'm not trying to say these numbers are bad or can't be further delved into.  NOT the point of this.

I think what you really need to consider that he has yet demonstrate that he can be an elite level back in the receiving game, which is what drives many of these huge contracts.  Most Backs in that 12+ mil range are all guys who put up huge numbers in the pass game, with the exception of Elliot who posts top 3 yardage and TD's seasons, with a well above average YPC.

So I really do think if the Bengals offer a deal that gets anywhere close to 10 mil they really are doing absolutely everything can to keep this guy, and for that I really think he should be elated.  They're showing a lot of faith in his abilities.

Fwiw, I truly believe that if you put Mixon on the Cowboys for that span, and Elliot on the Bengals, that the numbers would pretty much reverse.  One is a product a great OL, while the other is the product of a terrible OL.  So I'm not so sure the skill level is really that different.

But if I'm Joe Mixon, or his agent, I'm not sure how you can expect to get paid EARLY, and to be paid anywhere near the very, very top.

If the Bengals float him Top 8 Money then they should be applauded for not penny pinching.  And he really should be thankful.  Because when you couple these numbers with the current market, they're doing everything they can to tell you they want you around.  And if you're asking beyong that then you're being both selfish and naive.

Mostly agree

He's been on some bad teams and that factors in no matter how you spin it. But, as you point out his passing game production hasn't been great and to again be fair there's a lot of factors there.

All things considered I'm with you. If they offer him top 8 money he should be happy.  Happy
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - bengalfan74 - 05-19-2020, 02:16 PM