Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mixon- Bengals had productive talks
(05-19-2020, 12:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's my understanding that the new fines levied against holdouts only apply to those who are on the 2nd contract or greater.  I'm pretty sure if you read it closely it will say "verteran players" which is specified as the above.

I could be wrong, but I think players on a rookie deal can holdout just as before, with no additional fines.

Really doesn't matter though in this case.  Melvin Gordon really killed the chances of Mixon actually holding out into the season.

It is not the fines that destroy Mixon's leverage. It is the fact that if he misses ONE DAY, he loses a whole year. He would not be able to be a FA in 2021. No way he wants to make $1.9 mil for two more years. The holdout stuff is total nonsense.

Having said that, Mixon has put up HUGE rushing numbers (like Henry, Elliot,  or Gurley), nor is he a dual threat guy like McCafferey, Barkley, or Bell. He's a two-down back. Anything north of $10 mil is too much in my book. 

If it is north of that, we'd be better off paying him $1.9 this year and tagging him. Right? Use the savings for O-line/TE/DE help.

I also read where the deal needed to be done AFTER July 15, for contract purposes of some kind. So 2 months before it is likely official.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-19-2020, 04:24 PM