Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mixon- Bengals had productive talks
(05-22-2020, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would not do a deal like that.  If he can't play he will get $22 million cash this year and eat up $8 million in dead cap space next year.

I was just using round numbers to make a point. Maybe the signing bonus is less. But regardless, we have to accept some level of risk if we want to re-sign him. That's not just for the sake of having AJ, but for the sake of lowering his cap number this year and getting a Mixon extension or Warford or whatever it is you might want. I'd rather do that and cross my fingers that he stays healthy than risk paying him 18.5 for what would be, in your scenario, an injury riddled year. (Let's face it, as fans we don't care about the cash, only the cap implications).

What type of dead cap would you be willing to risk for him in years 2 or 3 of the deal, if it meant lowering his 2020 cap #? Remember, if he balls out this year he'll hold all the cards next year, because it's unlikely we'd franchise him again. The Bengals historically have been risk averse, but that cuts both ways - we also risk losing one of the best players in franchise history. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Geno_Can_Dunk - 05-22-2020, 03:05 PM